Siamese cats are one of the most popular breeds for a reason.
In addition to being an embodiment of beauty and having a queen like demeanour, these are some of the sweetest, most cuddly, snuggly and playful breeds you will ever come across.
They have a sweet talkative personality and gel incredibly with other cats, dogs and even strangers.
I have covered so many topics about Siamese cats on this blog and have answered so many of my readers queries regarding them.
And yet almost every day, I either find a new topic or find a mail in my mailbox from my readers asking something new about these absolute beauties.
Since they are so popular cat breeds as pets, owners are always looking to engage and do things to ensure their cat is happy and healthy.
Because let me tell you as sweet as these cats are the caveat with them is they need constant engagement, involvement and activity to develop as well-adjusted pets.
So, one of my readers, I think saw a video of a cat playing with catnip and dropped me a mail asking do Siamese cats like catnip.
And I thought I should cover this topic on do Siamese cats like catnip explicitly on my blog as so many Siamese cat owners may be pondering the same thing.
Plus think about it, if your Siamese cat already doesn’t have a partner, it would be great way to allow your Siamese to expend some of that energy using catnip toys or just rolling on and around it in general.
And you can have a few laughs in the process, which is always great. So let me cover the topic of catnip and a Siamese cat’ response to it wholesomely.
So, do Siamese cats like catnip?
The answer is most of them are likely to enjoy catnip, but yes there is a chance your cat doesn’t respond to it the like other cats, or may even ignore it altogether. There is no direct way to predict whether a Siamese cat will or won’t like catnip, therefore, the best way to know it is to let your cat try it.
I know something in us wants a more direct answer to the question, but what to do there is just too much subjectivity involved.
I remember I saw a funny advertisement about a catnip stuffed fish on Facebook one time and cat owners went bonkers over it only to realize later their cat not giving two hoots about it.
It’s a heartbreak I know. But what to do, that’s what a cat is.
These mysterious, beautiful, annoying, weird little things that always seem to be planning something.
Anyway, let’s get a little deeper into this topic around Siamese cats and catnip so that I can feel better knowing I have relayed to you everything that I know about the topic.
These articles are as sweet and chirpy as the Siamese cats,
- Why do cats purr?
- What does catnip do to cats psychologically?
- Are Siamese Cats Skittish?
- Why are Siamese cats so vocal?
- Why are Siamese cats so clingy and needy?
Do All Siamese Cats Respond To Catnip In The Same Way?
The answer is no. Not all Siamese cats respond to catnip the same way. Some will go absolute bonkers over it and you may have to pull them away from it, after you have had a fill of laughs that is of course, some will pleasantly enjoy it before showing their tail to it and there will be some who will smell it and look at you with a stare that says, so what am I suppose to do with it, stupid.
So, no not all Siamese cats will respond to it the same way.
And truth be told, the response towards catnip really isn’t a factor of cat breed to be honest. Jury is still out on whether the response to catnip is dependent on cat breed or not.
There are certain scientific studies that say, and I quote, ” The heredity of the response has been shown to be an autosomal dominant trait“, but there hasn’t been any correlation with breed or colors.
What can be said with a certain degree of certainty is that it really depends on your particular cat.
If she responds to it, she responds to it, if she doesn’t, she doesn’t.
It is also entirely possible that her immediate sibling may go all crazy with inexplicable bliss of ecstasy, while your cat observes in silent judgement.
If you wish to go in-depth into what exactly happens in a cat’s body when she takes a dose of catnip, I have already dedicated a separate, elaborate article on the topic that I highly recommend you read.
There are two mysterious phenomena that cats exude that has kept their owners and admirers confused.
One is of course,
Do give them a read and help spread the clarity by sharing it among friends.
How Do Siamese Cats React To Catnip?
If you are lucky and find your cat rolling and tripping around catnip, its only natural for you to think what is it that catnip does to cats.
While it is very difficult to pinpoint exactly what is it that is happening inside your Siamese cat’s mind but the acts that are generated as a consequence of a catnip trip are hilarious to say the least.
Different cats react to catnip differently there are some common traits of blissing out on catnips among all felines.
For example, the first comprehension that anybody derives by seeing a cat on catnip is that she is in some kind of euphoric state.
Her eyes get fixated on something only she can see and will start to roll around on the leaves as if to drench herself in the maximum ecstasy she can.
Her glaze may widen, she may even drool a little bit, she will break into a run only to stop suddenly to groom her tail and just give up to roll over the powdered leaves again.
It’s just hilarious to see them responding to catnip like that.
Some cats will roll around again and again in the same place while other may start chasing clouds only they can see.
In general, the phase of bliss lasts somewhere around 15 to 20 minutes after which she will show her tail to the catnip scattered floor only to return later for more.
The Reason Why Siamese Cats Crave Catnip
So why do Siamese cats or any cats for that matter react to catnip the way they do?
The answer is because of the presence of an essential oil called Nepetalactone in the catnip leaves.
The secretion of this particular oil activates pleasure centres in a cat’s brain as a result of which they expose what we regard as their silly side.
More specifically, what nepetalactone does is, it activates the neural cells and binds them with a function that stimulates the sensory neurons.
Additionally, aside from generating what we may label as narcotic effect, catnip can also induce behavior patterns that seem very similar to feline mating.
So that is the reason why Siamese cats get high as all heavens on catnip.
While its fun to see cats behaving the way they do on catnip, you will be forgiven to think whether catnip is safe for them.
And therefore, it’s very important to let you know this in as much clarity as I can.
Catnip isn’t addictive and is not harmful for cats.
But it is important to maintain the general sense that everything is good in moderation. Just because it isn’t harmful doesn’t mean that is a license to freely through catnip around every chance that you get.
Here are some of the most common benefits that come, when you moderately subject your cat on catnip.
- It helps your cat relax and unwind.
- It is known to enhance cognitive capabilities in cats.
- Because it enables your cat to play move and jump around it helps keep them agile, active and involved, thus preventing boredom and obesity.
- Catnip can also be used in a reward system to reinforce positive behavior in cats. For example, to limit their scratching tendencies to their scratching posts and not sofas.
Speaking about scratching, in this article, I teach how you can train your cats not to scratch your furniture in less than 10 days using catnip.
How And When To Feed Catnip To Siamese Cats?
Now that we have established what is catnip, how does it affect your Siamese cat, and what are the benefits associated with it.
The next logical question should be what is the right way to subject your Siamese to catnip?
There isn’t any strict routine that you need to have in order to feed or subject your Siamese cat to catnip.
You can sprinkle some dried catnip on a clean floor or a mat and let them roll all over it.
Dried catnip can also be used in training or reinforcing positive behavior traits in cats but this need to be done cautiously and consciously.
For example, you can use some catnip leaves or even catnip spray to ease the introduction to a new toy or a scratching post.
This is really helpful because cats are territorial beings who don’t like it when their surroundings and routine is disturbed.
And as such they you can make introductions, transitions to new toys, surroundings, etc. easier by strategically using catnip.
Here are different ways in which you can make your Siamese enjoy catnip.
- Catnip Toys
- CRINKLY & CUTE DENTAL CAT TOY: This silly Crunchy Pickle Kicker cat toy is made with crinkly texture that cats can't get enough of! Great for interactive and solo play, these catnip-stuffed dental cat toys won't disappoint.
- MULTIPLE TEXTURES SUPPORT DENTAL HEALTH: Mesh material helps remove soft plaque and tartar while plushy soft fabric is gentle enough on gums and won't cause irritation from excessive biting.
- PERFECT SIZE TO TOSS & BAT: The Crunchy Pickle Kicker is sized to fit perfectly in your kitty's paws as they bunny-kick and bite this enticing cat toy during solo and interactive play.
- 100% PREMIUM CATNIP: Stuffed with premium catnip to satisfy your cat's cravings and promote overall wellbeing and relaxation.
- PLAY IT SAFE: No toy is indestructible. Do not leave toys with unsupervised pets. Remove and replace toy if damaged.
- SMARTYKAT Skitter Critters Value Pack (10 Count) is sure to make playtime fun for your favorite feline friend.
- CREATED to excite your cat, these toys are the perfect size to chase, bat, and carry.
- ACTIVATES your cat's hunting instincts, and a great choice for a multi-cat household.
- FILLED with pure ingredients and free from chemicals or pesticides. Cats typically develop a reaction to catnip at 9 months of age.
- PERFECT for solo or interactive play, these toys feature dimensions of 1.5 x 5 x 7.5 inches, and weigh 1.13 ounces.
- Perfect Gift: The cat chew toy is filled with catnip and we choose the more breathable fabric to allow your cats smell the catnip easily and make your cats be more interested in palying with them.
- Bite resistant: Fine suture of this cat toy makes it durable for biting. Don't worry it will be chewed up.
- Safe and High Quality Material: More Durable Cotton Linen; Stuffed with Soft PP Cotton and Natural Catnip
- Application: Helping reduce your pets' boredom and separation anxiety by killing time with the chew toy and the catnip toys for cats are ideal for cats to play indoor or outdoor.
- SERVICE - 100% refund or replace will be supported if not satisfied and just be free to contact us if any questions.
Catnip toys are probably one of the best ways to administer these leaves of bliss to your cat. If your cat does indeed like catnip, she will waste no time to fall in love with one of these toys for obvious reasons.
Manufacturers are coming out discovering creative ways of stuffing catnip into different type of toys to make them interactive and fun.
Just ensure that the catnip toys that you choose have the fresh herbs with the right density of catnip leaves.
You can buy toys that I recommend here because I make it a point to only present products that are approved by other buyers for quality and effectiveness.
- Dried catnip
- 100% NATURAL: SmartyKat catnip is all-natural and made with no fillers; it's pure, potent, and meets your cat's essential needs for stimulation
- STIMULATING: Catnip contains aromatic oils that give cats a euphoric buzz and stimulates their instincts; most cats respond to catnip with a burst of energy, or frenzied behavior, followed by a period of blissful relaxation
- EASY TO USE: Lightly squeeze catnip-filled items or crush the leaves with your fingers to help release the natural active ingredient in catnip, and sprinkle on your cat's favorite toy or scratcher; a pinch goes a long way
- HELPS SAVE FURNITURE: Catnip is especially effective in helping curb destructive scratching behavior; apply catnip to your cat's scratcher and place near furniture popular with claws to lure felines and help redirect their behavior
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Catnip; Canister, 2 oz
- Fresh and potent
- Silver vine may work with cats insensitive to catnip
- Rare to find
- Provide healthy exercise for cats
- Made in USA
- 1 Pound Bulk Bag
- Cut And Sifted; Non-Irradiated; Botanical Name: Nepeta Cataria
- Certified Organic
- Frontier Is A Member Owned Co-Op, Responsible To People And Planet
I would highly recommend getting a jar of dried catnip as you can deploy it for multiple purposes.
You can simply sprinkle some of it on a clean surface for them to roll about and go bonkers.
Or you can use it to train your cat to adopt to the new scratching post, toy, bed etc.
- Catnip Balls
- 100% Natural and Non-toxic: the catnip balls are made of pure natural plant extracts, no chemical additives contained. Rest assured this toy is no harm to your favorite kitty. Includes 4 different flavors: “catnip”, “silvervine”, “the fruit of silvervine” and "cat energy ball" that conspire to arouse your cat’s interest to lick and play
- Practical Design: the cat toy can easily stick to the wall or other surfaces with strong viscous force, no falling off when your kitten licks and plays. The 4 balls are 360° rotatable when being licked
- Keep Cats Healthy and Happy: Catmint is conducive to mitigating cat’s lassitude and depression, stimulating appetite, improving digestion and excreting hairball. The cat energy ball promotes cat's metabolism and stimulates growth
- Teeth Cleaning: catnip could effectively reduce cat’s dental plaque and tartar, freshen breath and improve oral health for your kittens
- Caution: According to our diligent experiments, we found that some kittens under 3 month old might not be interested. If your cats turns out to be not interested, please contact our customer service email and we will full issue refund immediately
- 【Unique crab catnip ball toy】Catnip toys set includes 4 crab-shaped catnip ball toys, each cat mint ball can be used individually, Catnip wall toy comes with strong self-adhesive tape, catnip licking balls for cats are not easy to fall off. The cat nip ball can be glued to any flat and smooth surface such as walls, windows, table legs, floors, etc. Relieve Kitten stress, anxiety and boredom, and effectively help cats adapt to various new environments
- 【catnip ball toy high-quality plant material】 crab catnip ball toy is made of high-quality catnip and glutinous rice flour, which is safe and non-toxic. catnip ball contain no chemical additives catnip balls contain no toxic or addictive ingredients. Provide safe and healthy catnip toys for kitten, high-quality cat nip ball to attract cats to play, and provide cats with the best companionship
- 【Keep cats healthy and happy】The rich plant fiber in cat chew toy can promote digestion, enhance appetite and remove hairballs. Kitten's use of catnip toy ball also improves the oral health of kittens by effectively reducing plaque and tartar in cats, freshening breath. Cat nips organic ball bringing you closer to your pet while keeping your beloved cat healthy and happy
- 【Removable dust cover】Each catnip wall balls for cats is equipped with a dust cover, remove the dust cover equipped with the cat mint ball when in use, and cover the dust cover when the catnip balls for cats are not in use, which can effectively avoid Dust and odors, keep the flavor of cat nip balls, easy to use again. Effectively prolong the service life of wall catnip ball.
- 【Note】Cat sensory toy are mainly made of catnip. According to our long-term experiments, about 80% of cats will be interested in catnip balls, but a few cats under 3 months may not be interested in catnip rollers. If your cat is not interested in our catnip toys, please feel free to contact us and we will give you a full refund.
- Best Natural Cat toy: List of ingredients- Organic cat nip, silvervine, and the fruit of silvervine. Mix with a small amount of edible glutinous rice glue to make balls. Our cat chew toy is made from All-Natural Plants that cats love, without any additives.
- Healthier & Happier: Our cat toys have 3 different flavors and are very attractive to cats. The catnip toy ball and the cat toy with silvervine can help cats relieve stress, and make them energetic and happy. Enhances appetite, supplements vitamins, and keeps fresh breath.
- Product Upgrade: Our catnip toys use non-marking strong double-sided adhesive tape, silvervine cat toys for indoor cats won't fall off when your cat plays and licks with it, and they won't damage your walls or furniture when you take them off. Stick it where you and your cat like.
- Special Designs for catnip toys for indoor cats: The cat mint ball rotates 360 degrees when your cat licks or plays. The dust cap keeps out dust and odors and keeps the catnip balls fresh with an Intense mint flavor.
- Kindly Tips of Catnip Wall Ball: 98% of cats like this kitten teething toys very much. Some cats need to be warmed up. You can interact with the cat to attract the cat to play. We offer 100% risk-free satisfaction or a refund immediately. Customer service is at your service at any time.
These aren’t as popular picks as the other choices that I have mentioned on the list but I feel they are just as effective.
The most common issue that I encounter from owners is their cats get easily bored of it.
But that isn’t the case all the time of course. Some cats just can’t get enough of it.
Because the ball is rich in catnip herb and they are too large to be carried around cats have a lot of fun rolling it around, while at the same time rolling around with it.
So those were the core topics that I felt were worth covering around the core topic of do Siamese cats like catnip.
The important thing to realize here is that how a cat responds to catnip isn’t dependent on cat breed particularly.
If your cat likes it, she likes it, if she doesn’t, she doesn’t.
It really is as simple as that.
If she indeed does like it, boy you are in for a few laughs I can tell you that.
Here are some other queries which I received, that I felt I should take the opportunity to address.
If you have any other questions around the topic, feel free to comment them down below and I will incorporate them into the post.
How To Make A Siamese Cat Happy?
One of the key qualities that Siamese cats have is this need for attention and engagement. So, the best way to make a Siamese cat happy apart from providing with her favorite food, a secure space and toys is by actively involving with her in the form of play, cuddles, snuggles, attention and affection.
They love being the centre of attraction and if you allow her to engage with you and everyone around her in ways, she enjoys best, she will be happy and will love you for it.
Because they are such active and attention demanding cat breeds, it does them a world of good if they have a companion cat or pet, they can engage with whenever they want. Siamese cats evolve very beautifully in pairs.
Not to mention your responsibility to actively engage with them if they have a companion will be greatly reduced.
Do Siamese Cats Like To Be Picked Up?
Yes, Siamese cats do like to be picked up and they can gobble all the attention you can shower them with. They are known to enjoy cuddles, snuggles, being a lap cat, sleeping besides their favorite human and company of people, kids, cats, dogs and other pets. They are very friendly and make great family pets.
Are Siamese Cats High Maintenance?
Siamese cats can’t be regarded as high maintenance however, what’s true is, they demand a lot in terms of attention and affection. Siamese cats aren’t the type of cats who sit quietly and are comfortable on their own. They want to be engaged, played with and would want you to lend your ears to them when they feel like saying something.
They are talkative cat breeds and seem to have copious amounts of energy that they want to expend in playing, running around, climbing high vantage points, and engaging with their companion or their favorite human.
Alright, folks, I hope you enjoyed reading this in-depth article on do Siamese cats like catnip as much as I enjoyed writing it.
If you are an active reader of the blog you know what to do.
If you have any other query regarding the topic or anything around it, feel free to leave it in the comments below.
If you are new, then welcome my friend, just subscribe to the blog and the accompanying Youtube channel to receive awesome content like this in your mailbox.
I will be highly grateful.
Take care of yourselves and I will see you in the next one!