I am pretty sure in your quest for searching funny cat images many a times you must have seen Sphynx cats fashionably dressed. So, do Sphynx cats need clothes or do Sphynx cats get cold or is it just because of the ridiculously good vibes they exude when dressed is the reason behind seeing so many clothed Sphynx cats?
In this article, let me comprehensively cover topics around Sphynx cats such as do Sphynx cats get cold, do Sphynx cats need clothes necessarily and if they do what is the right way to go about protecting them from modulating climates.
By the end of this article, I am pretty sure you will have a holistic understanding of how rightly to take care of your Sphynx cats as far as the climatic changes are concerned.
You will also know about the essential signs that your cats exude when they are cold and different ways you can keep them warm if need be. So, first things first.
Do Sphynx cats get cold? The answer is, yes. Given the fact that they are expressly different from other cats owing to their lack of protective fur, Sphynx cats do tend to get cold easily. Therefore, you will need some arrangement to keep her warm during winters or when its cold inside your house. During summers too you need to ensure you modulate your AC appropriately with your cat in mind.
Different Signs That Show Your Sphynx Cat Is Cold
Well, the litmus test is pretty simple. If the environment or the ecosystem that you are existing feels cold to you, it is probably cold for your Sphynx cat too. However, don’t necessarily need to rely on perception alone to determine if your Sphynx cat is cold. Here are some clear signs that indicate that your Sphynx cat must be feeling cold.
- They start craving your body warmth more than usual. If you find that your cat is sleeping besides you or sitting beside you or around your laptop more than the usual. That can be a very clear indicator that your Sphynx cat might be cold. Because they are a very lively and playful cat breed, any indication that she is demanding your physical presence more than usual is a good indicator that she is cold.
- They actively start avoiding tiled floors. I think you know this by experience how cold tiled and hardwood floors start feeling during winters. If the environment is cold these kinds of floors tend to exaggerate it and show it to us. Well, because your cat’s toes are sensitive, they may altogether refuse to walk on it or avoid it whenever she can. A big indicator that her body as a whole might be cold too.
- They are being excessively lethargic. This one again is going to be a big indicator which tells you if your Sphynx cat is cold. Under normal circumstances Sphynxes are a playful and energetic cat breed. And if you observe that your cat is being too lazy or seems too tired that maybe because she is conserving her body heat. So, if you feel that is indeed the case try and feel if her body temps are low. Which brings us to the next point.
- Your cat’s body will feel cold when touched. Probably the clearest indicator to know if your cat is indeed cold is by feeling her body. Under normal circumstances your cat’s body must feel warm and being with her for a few days I am pretty sure you will gauge what her body temperature usually feels like. Generally speaking, you must always be able to feel the heat generating off of your Sphynx cat. See if she feels cold and then go along to feel her paws and ear tips. If all of them seem cold, you probably need to adjust your thermostat.
- Your cat’s body maybe shivering. One of the most extreme signs that your cat is feeling cold is of course a shivering body. Cat’s don’t shiver under normal healthy circumstances. So, if your cat is shivering, you need to ensure that she gets warmth immediately. Hypothermia is a rare in cats but its possibility cannot be ignored.
- Spending too much time in the window with sunlight. Well, it isn’t necessarily about the window but any hotspots in general to be honest. So, if she is sacrificing her normal energetic and playful self, sitting near hot spaces like beds, window perches, fireplace, laptop sides, cable boxes etc., she probably is feeling cold.
Additional Articles Worth Your Time 🙂
- Do Bengal cats get along with other cats?
- Why are Siamese cats so clingy?
- Do Russian Blue cats get along with other cats?
- Why do cats knock over water?
- Food allergies in cats: signs, symptoms and treatment
- 8 things to NEVER say to someone who owns cats!
How To Keep A Sphynx Cat Warm?
Now that we have the answer to the query do Sphynx cats get cold, lets discuss what to do if your cat indeed is feeling cold.
So, what are the different ways via which you can relay comforting warmth to your Sphynx cat?
- Using Fleece Blankets: By using blankets made out of fleece or similar soft fabric which doesn’t cause any kind of irritation to your cat’s body can be used to occasionally cover them. Or they can be placed neatly in their preferred resting spots like the window perch or near the fireplace or heating vents.
- Using Cat Igloos Or Heating Cat Beds: A heating cat bed can actually be a very good solution to provide nice, consistent and comforting warmth to your Sphynx cat. The value of these heated cat beds is even more pronounced during winters when your cats are continuously looking for warm comfortable havens. Avoid using heated pads manufactured for humans as they aren’t appropriate for your cats and may cause harm. I will list out a few self-heating cat beds below.
ProductTitleK&H PET PRODUCTS Thermo-Kitty Bed Heated Cat Bed Large 20 Inches Sage/TanK&H PET PRODUCTS Thermo-Mod Dream Pod Heated Pet Bed 22 Inches Tan/BlackBedsure Cat Beds for Indoor Cats - Cat House Cat Tent Cat Cave with Removable Washable Cushioned Pillow, Kitten Beds Cat Hut, Beige, 15 inchesRatingsPrice$42.39$94.20Price not availableBuy NowProductTitleK&H PET PRODUCTS Thermo-Kitty Bed Heated Cat Bed Large 20 Inches Sage/TanRatingsPrice$42.39Buy NowProductTitleK&H PET PRODUCTS Thermo-Mod Dream Pod Heated Pet Bed 22 Inches Tan/BlackRatingsPrice$94.20Prime-Buy NowProductTitleBedsure Cat Beds for Indoor Cats - Cat House Cat Tent Cat Cave with Removable Washable Cushioned Pillow, Kitten Beds Cat Hut, Beige, 15 inchesRatingsPricePrice not availablePrime-Buy Now
- Exposure to soft sunlight: If your home doesn’t have a resting spot or a perch situated somewhere where there is active soft sunlight you are denying your cat a treat. Especially so if you have cats like Sphynxes who can get cold so easily. Some soft filtered sunlight falling directly upon a soft bed or a cat perch aligned along the window is just the perfect way to warm your kitty up.
- Letting Her Sleep Besides You: I have discussed different reasons as to why do cats like to sleep with you in a separate post here. One of the reasons why they like to sleep on or around you is because of the warmth. Well, I don’t think I need to tell you this, but if your cat finds comfort and warmth by being around you or sleeping with you, you better not deny it. Not only will this help her get warm but this will also strengthen the bond between both of you.
Do Sphynx Cats Need Clothes?
I wanted to include this section as a point in the above subtopic of ways to keep your Sphynx cat warm.
But I felt with respect to the main topic under discussion and the fact that Sphynx cat owners ask this question so much, it’s better to create a separate topic.
So, do Sphynx cats need clothes? The answer is it will depend upon a variety of different factors. For example, if the general temperature of your home, your environment is on the low side your Sphynx cat may benefit from a sweater. In summer and tropical patches of weather they don’t need to be clothed. The lack of protective fur renders them to get cold easily and therefore if the weather feels cold to you, most likely it feels cold to your Sphynx as well.
When we are talking about warmer months and when the climate is dry and windy, they don’t need to be clothed. The average temperature of a Sphynx cat body varies from 99.5 to 102.5 F which is a bit higher when compared with cats that have fur. Therefore, during summer and tropical climates they are very comfortable without clothes.
Now many Sphynx owners may also be asking this out of the different fashionistas Sphynxes they see all across the internet.
So, is it okay to safely cloth your Sphynx cat for an occasional party, photo session or just for the laughs of it?
Well, if your cat is okay with it why not.
Just ensure that you are using high quality fabric which doesn’t cause any kind of irritation to your cat’s sensitive skin.
And more importantly, never do it more than you should and never force it if your cat doesn’t want it.
And if you do snap a photo of your Sphynx clothed fashionably, tag us @kittycounty.
Best Clothes For Sphynx Cats?
Just now I mentioned in the above sub section of this post that it’s okay to clothe your Sphynx but ensure that you get clothes that don’t cause any kind of irritation to her soft and sensitive skin.
Therefore, let me just relay some of my recommendations for the best clothes for Sphynx cats that you can look forward to getting.
Fleece Sweatshirts For Sphynx Cats By Dociote
- Super Warm & Soft: Made of soft fleece material, super warm and can protect your furry friend from the cold weather. Breathable and stretchy avoid static and protects a dog¡¯s sensitive skin.
- Easy to Wear: High stretch fabric and pullover style makes it easy to put on and off. Comfortable and suitable.
- Easy to Wash: Hand wash & Machine washable in gentle mode, no-shrink, no fade.
- Recommended for Puppy Small Dogs Breeds Such as Chihuahua, Yorkie, Sphynx, etc.
- Please check the size carefully before purchasing ** S: Neck 8-9.5in Chest 12-13.4in Length 10.25in ح M: Neck 9.5-11in Chest 16-18in Length 12in ح L: Neck 11-12.5in Chest 19-21.5in Length 14.5in
As I mentioned in a previous section of this post that fleece blankets are one of the better ways to keep your Sphynx cat warm during summer.
I found these fleece sweatshirts/sweaters by Dociote which I think are going to complement those blankets perfectly.
With these soft sweater’s warmth and comfort especially during winters won’t be localized to just her resting spots.
She will carry her warmth with her so to speak.
Key highlights in addition to being made of warm, soft fleece are as follows,
- Stretchy fabric is easy to wear.
- Easily washable fabric. Can be subjected to hand wash as well as gentle machine wash.
- Available in all important sizes.
Bolbove Turtleneck Sweaters For Sphynx Cats
- SIZE Guide: Measure the chest at its widest point all the way around for CHEST Girth; Measure length of pet's back from the base of the neck to the base of the tail for BACK Length (Excluding the tail). We recommend one size up for comfort if your dog's measurement is the higher end of the range listed. Always choosing the size by the measurement of your pet (The chest girth and back length),not the weight or breeds simply. For jumpsuit with legs, we measure both chest girth and back length.
- Made of Acrylic Fabric to keep your pet warm. Package included: 1*Pet Sweater + 1*Bolbove Silver Keychain
- Made for Cats, Puppies and Small Sized Dogs
- Size Medium: fits pet's Neck Girth 10 inches, Chest Girth 12.5 inches. The sweater is 10 inches in Length.
- Machine washable with similar color in cold water and tumble dry
My next favourite pick for the best clothes for the Sphynx cat.
More on the crafty side when compared with fleece sweaters by Dociote.
I like the designs on these. It’s simple and is not overdone. Add the fact that it is widely loved and accepted by cat parents worldwide will reduce your purchase decision doubts should you choose to buy it.
Additional features that stand out in the turtleneck sweaters offered by Bolbove.
- Available in all important sizes.
- Made up of safe, comfortable and warm acrylic fabric.
- Hand and machine washable fabric.
- Highly rated by cat parents.
Wiz BBQT Graid Plait Turtlenecks For Cats
- Size M: back length:about 9.2"; neck girth:about 8.8";chest girth:about 12.8"
Another very popular picks among cat owners and lovers.
This one doesn’t rest as loosely as the sweatshirt by Dociote but is just as soft, warm and comfortable.
Created using acrylic yarn is sure to keep your cat comfortably warm during winter months.
The turtleneck is easy to wear, wash and has the backing of many-many cat parents.
FAQs About Sphynx Cats
So, we have looked into some of the most important questions that Sphynx cat owners often pose like do Sphynx cats get cold and also do Sphynx cats need clothes.
But by no means these are the only questions I receive.
Here are some of other questions that cat owners, Sphynx cat owners particularly, ask of me albeit not as much as everything I have already covered.
Yet, I still think these questions need resolution, looking at the overall vibe of the topic.
Do Sphynx cats need baths?
Yeah, they do actually. The inherent lack of fur over a Sphynx cat body means the oil secretion by their skin cells doesn’t get absorbed. And for the same reason, their bodies tend to collect environmental dust leading to clogged pores. This if not attended to may develop infection. Hence, they require frequent brushing and need to be bathed at least once a week.
Most breeders tend to acclimate Sphynx cats to bathing right from when they are kittens. Because of this they don’t resist it as some other breeds and most of them even enjoy it.
If they are not bathed regularly, apart from the risk of developing infection, they may also start leaving brown marks on your sheets, clothing and furniture.
So bathing and regular brushing are absolute musts with Sphynx cats.
How Does It Feel To Pet A Sphynx Cat?
Many potential Sphynx cat adopters ask this question.
Contrary to what you may think Sphynx cats aren’t completely hairless. They are covered with fine, soft downy hair that is compared to be like peach skin. Petting them feels like grazing your fingers through soft velvet or suede. You will also find that their body is relatively warm.
And if you don’t bath them regularly as you should, their skin may also feel a bit oily when touched.
What Are Sphynx Cats Really Like?
Sphynx cats are playful, gentle and energetic cat breeds that enjoy around being their humans. While they are not particularly dependent, but they do enjoy a good snuggle session with their favourite human. They are intelligent, curious by nature, vocal, naturally acrobatic and a tad bit mischievous.
All these qualities incorporated in one feline can get quite a handful. And therefore, many recommend that the Sphynx cats are best suited for experienced owners.
They make excellent indoor pets and get quite well along with children, other cats and pets.
With that we are at the end of this post labelled do Sphynx cats get cold.
While answering do Sphynx cats get cold may look like an easy question to be answered but there are many surrounding topics that anyone who owns a Sphynx or looking to get one might want to be aware of.
I am pretty sure I have covered most of them.
If you have any other query associated with Sphynx cats, do let me know in the comments section below.
Also don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and our YouTube channel for awesome content like this.
Take great care of yourselves and your cat and I will see you in the next one.